Coming to the PDGA in 2011
The Board of Directors and PDGA staff have recognized the need to refocus on the grassroots of the sport. Details on the following three programs are currently being developed for implementation in 2011:
Course Growth Program
The PDGA, along with the support of participating course equipment manufacturers, will be launching a program to assist in the funding of new disc golf courses. This incentive funding program will be limited to areas and communities that do not currently have a disc golf course with the goal being to create new disc golf communities around the world, which will result in an increase in the number of players and tournaments.
The PDGA will be launching a program to assist in the funding of educational programs and to develop better educational tools and materials which will aid in teaching disc golf to kids, senior citizens, and other interested groups.
School League Program
A program to encourage and foster the growth of school leagues and competitions will be developed and will include a new low cost sanctioning tier which will provide these competitions with insurance coverage required by school districts.
PDGA.com is our number one window to the world with in excess of one million unique visitors each year and it provides us with extraordinary opportunities to promote our sport and association on a global level. The decision was made to make a much larger investment into our IT infrastructure beginning in 2011.
Other new items of interest that you can look forward to in 2011 include:
- The creation of a new student level membership which will replace the current junior memberships and be expanded to include all players born in 1992 or later.
- All PDGA officials will need to be recertified in 2011 and every three years thereafter. A new online rules official exam will be launched and tournament directors of sanctioned events will be given a complimentary exam. All players competing in a National Tour Elite Series event or Major will be required to take and pass the new rules official exam.
- A new and expanded online pro shop has been launched at PDGAstore.com with new PDGA and DiscGolfer magazine branded merchandise, apparel, discs and tournament supplies.
- A PDGA app for the i-Phone is currently under development with other platforms being considered for the future. A mobile version of PDGA.com will also be unveiled which will give millions of people more efficient access to our website from smart phones.
- A new approach to the National Tour, rebranded as the National Tour Elite Series, with the PDGA becoming more involved with these premier showcase events in terms of presentation, promotion, publicity and marketability. A more regional approach will also be implemented with more events being given the opportunity to rotate in and out of the series each year in each of the eight regions.
- Expansion and reorganization of the PDGA staff which will include the hiring of a new Tour Manager in early 2011 as well as the creation of a full time IT position to manage our increased investment in the website and other IT initiatives.
- An increase in the PDGA’s support and management of the Professional and Amateur World Championships as we transition to a more consistent and sustainable model over the next two years.
- The creation of a new PDGA managed event in 2011 to crown a Pro National Champion. This event will take place on alternate years as the current National Championship event, the USDGC.
So look for these exciting advances to take place during the 2011 season. With your membership and support the PDGA and disc golf will rise to a new level. Join/renew today! We thank you in advance and look forward to serving you.