Funkytown Flyers members are an amazing group of people who have a shared vision to promote and grow the sport locally through organization. It is our hope that through the course development initiative we can enable others to act on their inclination to create and improve our courses. We hope to serve as a model and a resource for cities and other groups who want to create disc golf courses and communities. We hope that our club will serve to encourage and inspire each of us towards achieving a greater vision of disc golf in DFW.
2011 Club Goals:
- Become a 501c3 non-profit – Currently the club is a nonprofit corporation through the state of Texas. We have an incredible opportunity to have our 501c3 setup pro bono by an accounting firm. This means we will be an official charity in the eyes of the IRS and can begin to solicit tax-deductible donations. The sky is the limit to what the club can achieve as a 501c3 charitable organization.
- Sell 300 Bag Tags – We sold more bag tags than ever this year and we did it in only 4 months. We have already ordered tags 250-300 and will continue to order those 50 at a time as needed. We really need to push for all of our 350+ members to renew and to continue recruiting new members to the club. The more active members the club has the more the club can do.
- Launch Funkytown Merchandise – We have placed orders for Funkytown Flyers patches and lapel pins. Dynamic Discs gave us a great deal on mini markers that will be the kind that fit into each other with DD on one side and Funkytown on the other. Dynamic Discs is also helping us with an order of ball caps with the Funkytown logo embroidered on them. Additionally we will be working on stickers and hoodies. The merchandise will be paid for out of the 2011 budget but will pay for itself going forward.
- E-commerce – Along with the merchandise sales a new E-commerce solution on the website will enable us to sell memberships more efficiently.
- 2011 Course Development Grant – Hopefully a good project will come along for the course development funds. We will be working on promoting this and making it easy to apply for grants online. If a grant is not awarded this year, it will of course carry over to 2012.
- Increase website awareness – The year started off with this great new website and we need to continue to promoting it and making it the go to website for all things DFW disc golf. The website still needs a lot of work (see the forum for how you can contribute), but we are rapidly moving in the right direction. Already this year we have had several government officials and community groups contact us through the website. And we have had about 15 people sign up for memberships online. So please make it a point to visit the website on a regular basis to keep up with what’s going on and point everyone looking for local disc golf info in our direction.
This club is about organizing the disc golf community for positive purposes. Your participation, no matter at what level, will make all the difference. Thanks for all of our members who have stepped up so far this year and we are looking forward to continuing our momentum throughout 2011.
“What good men may do separately,” Benjamin Franklin wrote, “is small compared to what they may do collectively.
Board of Directors, Funkytown Flyers